Ep. 05: Sunny Eckerle on the challenges of running your own business, the value of personal projects, managing your emotions as a business owner + more!
I've had the pleasure of working with Sunny Eckerle on several projects and she is by far one of the most professional and enjoyable creatives I've ever worked with. She's also a rad person with impeccable style and cute cats. Naturally, we met on Instagram. I think we followed each other because we went to a bunch of the same shows. I really loved her work and wanted her to do our branding for A Song A Day so I reached out. That was almost three years ago!
Since then, Sunny has branched out on her own to be a full-time freelance illustrator. She works with rad brands such as Curbed, Intercom, She Shreds Magazine, A League of Their Own, and more. She's also the founder of Brooklyn Bodega Cats and is always working on a new personal project. Check out some of her work below!
In this episode, we talk about the challenges of running your own business, the value of personal projects, managing your emotions as a business owner, marketing yourself, moving across the country, Brooklyn, Portland and more. Show notes below!
In this episode, we talk about:
- moving across the country
- going from an agency to a studio to working for herself and freelancing full-time
- why she chose to focus on illustrating for editorial
- leveling yourself out and fighting the feeling of failure or imposter syndrome
- the importance of being proactive, not reactive
- managing your emotions as a business owner
- using personal projects as testing grounds for artistic experimentation
- how personal work can “accidentally” become a marketing tool
- how inspiration does and does not work
- embracing your natural style as an artist or creative
- the importance of being kind to yourself
Books, podcasts, and resources she mentioned:
- Find Sunny on the web, Instagram, and Twitter
- Album: Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation
- Brian Charles, Grab On To Me Tightly As If I Knew The Way
- True crime podcasts:
- Other podcasts:
- Myers Brigg Tests
- Monday's Child nursery rhyme
- Austin Kleon, Steal Like An Artist
- James Clear (on habits)
Dig this episode? Your ratings and reviews on iTunes go a long way - please take a few moments to share one! ❤